Home Alone

Sunday, October 25, 2009

I’ve been home alone.



Andy took Henry and Eleanor to his parents’ house on Thursday, giving me my first overnight break from the kids in a year, and my first time having the house to myself since the kids were born.

I treated myself on Friday to an afternoon at the art museum. I saw their special-engagement Spanish sacred art exhibit (accompanied by a fantastic iPod guide tour), and wandered through some of the permanent exhibitions. The sun popped out just as I was leaving, so I indulged in a walk around the grounds, enjoying the fall colors and playing with my camera.



Other than that I’ve been holed up in the Fortress of Solitude. I’ve eaten pizza, a pound of Twizzlers, cool ranch Doritos, and drank my weight in Diet Coke. I’ve read the paper without interruption, watched all the trashy TV piled up in my Tivo without interruption, slept without interruption, and went pee without interruption.

I get my family back this afternoon, and I’ll be happy to see them. But I’m also so grateful for the chance to just be me for a few days. My batteries are recharged, and I’m reminded that it’s okay to be selfish now and again—focusing on myself occasionally helps me to be a better mom. Even if focusing on myself includes watching six back-to-back hours of America’s Next Top Model.

1 comments:

the kringalings said...

Holy smokes! You ought to sell those photos to the museum!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP