Same Ol’ Same Ol’ (with One New Thing)

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Yesterday morning Henry, Eleanor and I drove downtown to a MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) meeting, courtesy of an invite from twin-mom-friend Christen. For the very first time, I left Henry and Eleanor in the care of other people that I did not know, walked away, and didn’t return for a couple of hours. I know I’ll have to start cutting those apron strings eventually, but man, it’s hard. The whole time a little voice in my head was buzzing “I hope they’re okay I wonder what they are doing Do they miss me I hope they’re okay.” The report from the playroom supervisors was that Henry wanted to check out everything (indeed, he was making engine noises while “driving” a toy truck when I arrived to get him) and that Eleanor was very quiet. Sweet Eleanor and her shy streak; it breaks my heart that I can’t always hover over her and reassure her that everything is fine.

Despite the worried buzzing in my head, I enjoyed my time with this new group of fun and artistic women. We did crafts—creating journals—and I trimmed and Modge Podged and stickered. Check out my creation:



Other than the monumental Leaving of The Children in The Care of Others and expanding my social circle, it’s been a regular, routine couple of days. Can you guess where we went this afternoon? Hint: it rhymes with “Gildren’s Fluseum.” Wow! How did you guess correctly, and so quickly, too? What’s that, you say? Because you read about the other million-gazillion times we went to the Children’s Museum this year? Oh, right. Anyhow, you know the drill: trains, fish, carousel, slide, sand table, blah blah BLAH. One anecdote: we were in the elevator with another mom and her son (about five years old, maybe?). The son was looking at the twins, the mom says “say hi,” I say, “say hi, Henry,” son says hi, leans down, KISSES HENRY RIGHT ON THE MOUTH. Equal parts “Ooooooh! That’s so cute!” and “Eeeewwwww! I don’t know what germs you’re carrying!”

Tomorrow we’re off to Champaign for an overnight trip. I’ll be back Saturday evening or Sunday-ish with photos and hopefully stories about how awesomely Andy’s mom is doing.

3 comments:

Emily Anne Carson said...

Hi! I hope Andy's mom is getting better and better.

I LOVE your journal! Great work. That group sounds really fantastic.

Have a great start to the week. :)

the kringalings said...

Yes, that group DOES sound fantastic! So glad you came.

Just remember - Shy's ok - she's just taking it all in. I understand though. And I know the little voice in the back of my head has never gone away. Of course, for some reassurance - they will bring your kids to you if they need you. This was a common occurance for me last year. (weekly!)

Hope to see you there next week!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I know how you feel with the kiddos, I started to feel better once I got to know the workers, they moved with the kids last yr so we didn't have to meet anyone knew. Last yr they cried when I left them, this yr they run away from, go figure!

Amanda Wilmering

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP