Rock the Vote

Sunday, November 2, 2008

So today I waited in line to vote for three and a half hours. Yep, you read that correctly. Three. And a half. Hours.

I had wanted to take advantage of early voting, so I didn’t have to drag the babies with me to the circus that I’m sure will occur on Tuesday. I knew the lines had been long, so I planned to get to the polls right when they opened, at 11:00 am this morning. Good plan, right?

Right. What would normally be a no-more-than-ten-minute drive took over thirty, as I waited in traffic to turn into the parking lot, then had to navigate more traffic to find a parking space. I ended up parking in pretty much the next county, then had to trek over to get in line.

And what a line it was. It snaked around fences and around corners and along buildings. Luckily the sun was shining and the people around me were friendly. Although the group ahead of me did seem to think that not one, but two, of Sarah Palin’s daughters were pregnant. Yeah.

There were lots of politicians and politician-supporters out canvassing the lines and handing out literature. I tried to keep my nose in my book to avoid being asked what township I lived in and could I please tell you a bit about so-and-so candidate? Some enterprising school clubs were there selling water and food, and a local T.V. station showed up to film the crowds. (I totally was on the evening news, standing in line and looking patriotic. Please, no autographs.)

Finally, I reached the polling place, where I entered and realized that I still had two more lines to wait in. After a bit more of a wait, it was my turn, and I clutched my ballot and started filling in ovals. By that time, I was sunburned, tired and so hungry that I almost couldn’t remember who I went there to vote for. Woo-hoo! Democracy in action!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP