Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh-Bama!

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Well, I turned on the TV at 8:00 a.m. yesterday morning, and didn’t turn it off until 1:00 a.m. last night. For some reason, I hate politics, but loooove watching political coverage. I was happy that I voted on Sunday, even with a three-and-a-half hour wait. Andy got to the polls at 6:00 a.m. and had to park on the busy-with-no-shoulders street in front of the school where we vote, something I would not have enjoyed doing with a double-stroller full of twins. I much preferred being at home on my couch, which was where I was planted when my sister called and said she was coming to Indy for a visit. I informed her that a) my house would be dirty when she arrived, and b) I wasn’t going to leave my couch all day, and with that excitement to look forward to, my sister hit the road.

Last night involved lots of CNN viewing, wondering how they could call a state the minute the polls closed, with 0% of precincts reporting. We pigged out on nachos (or as we called them, YES WE CANachos), waiting for history to be made. Andy went to bed early on account of his early rising, but Julie and I got to see the last of the polls close and Obama declared the next President. Following the example of our mom photographing her TV when the Beatles first appeared on Ed Sullivan, we turned on my camera’s self-timer and snapped a photo of us in front of CNN calling the election for Obama. It was exciting to watch him speak and see everybody’s heartfelt reaction to the historical night. He may not have been the candidate I voted for, but I like that Henry and Eleanor will grow up assuming that no matter what you look like, you can be President.


Jennifer and Julie: Yes! We! Can!
Simon: Yes! We! Cat!

Today Julie and I wanted to take advantage of the beautiful weather, so we took Henry and Eleanor to the zoo. We stopped to look at some flamingos, and cheered on the lions (our high school mascot). We also took a stroll through the Plains exhibits, seeing zebras and ostriches (which the babies quacked at) and lemurs and monkeys and giraffes. I always want the babies to be excited about the giraffes, but they never cooperate. Come on, kiddos! Look at those long necks! They’re eating off the trees—I’d like to see you try that!

We also walked through the Oceans building, which we hadn’t done on previous zoo trips. I think this was my favorite. The babies got to see an aquarium full of colorful tropical fish, and Julie and I marveled at the jellyfish. The Oceans exhibit also contains a room with sharks that you can touch. I stuck my hand in and brushed against a fin swimming by, which was fun but also a bit scary.

On the way home we stopped for lunch at Steak n Shake. This is my sister’s favorite restaurant, so she was excited to be along for Henry and Eleanor’s inaugural visit. The babies got little apron bibs as well as paper hats just like what the cooks wear. Eleanor was ready to start slinging burgers; she wore her hat for most of our meal. The babies would have chugged our whole milkshakes if we had let them, and Henry had fun dipping his fries in ketchup.

Back home we went, where we all enjoyed a nap. This afternoon was spent playing and breaking up baby fights over the toy ride-on cars. Tonight Julie and Marcy are at a concert, which I would love to be at, too, but I came down with an upset stomach this afternoon. So here I sit at my computer instead. Their loss is your gain, I suppose!


Julie doing her flamingo imitation, which mainly looks like she's about to take a flying leap into the pond




Julie: Woo-hoo! Lions! #1!
Henry and Eleanor: Why are we in this family? WHY??!!!?!!???




Would you like fries with that?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP