One Morning, Two Kids

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Last Saturday Henry and Eleanor each got a haircut.


Each ate lunch out at a restaurant.


What’s so special about this? They did these activities independent from one another.

We’ve tried to separate them before, with not much luck—lots of tears and anxiety over being apart from one’s twin. But Andy and I decided we were up for another try, so off Eleanor went to Mommy’s salon for a haircut while Henry headed downtown to the barbershop with Daddy.

Both kids did great during their cuts and corresponding lunch dates. I think the anxiety this time was felt more by the parents. I had a moment of “oh crap! I forgot the kids!” as I backed the van out of the driveway and spotted the empty seat in the row behind me. It felt so foreign to not have two, to not have my attention constantly split. It also felt foreign to not attract the stares and smiles that being out with twins usually generates. But I think the outings were good for all four of us, and Andy and I look forward to more opportunities to get to know our children individually. I’m glad I live in twin world, but it’s nice to visit singleton world occasionally.

6 comments:

Jennifer Phelps said...

Looks like a wonderful day all around! I took just Sage with me to run an errand this morning and when a woman was remarking how cute she was, it took everything I had to bite my tongue and not pipe in that she's a twin. I agree with you that it's good for the kids to be out in the world on their own and to be noticed as an individual, but finding that balance between developing their individuality and honoring their twinship is hard...and going to get harder. Glad today was a good day for all the Flesworthys.

Amanda said...

I love that time too, and we need to be better about it as well, it's tough! Just wanted to say again that I love Eleanor's new hair cut!

the kringalings said...

Congrats - glad it went well (including the cuts!)

punkinmama said...

Wow, something I hadn't ever considered before! Glad it went so well and hope you all can do it more often!

Michelle@Gotchababy said...

Oh so sweet--ours aren't twins but we still split them up for different things. Jr usually freaks and constantly repeats, "Where Meggy go?" until he gets distracted. It's IS a special treat to focus on just one child for a bit!

Jeannine said...

Just found your blog and totally understand - I have three year old b/g twins too. I always think of the three of us as a unit with special guest star daddy making appearances before he leaves for work in the morning and on the weekends, but mostly it is just the three of us. It is nice to split up and get one on one time with them and see who they are as individuals (and who I am when I have complete attention to give). I'll be back to read again :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP