Sign, Sign, Everywhere A Sign

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Henry and Eleanor’s latest obsession is the Signing Time DVD series. We have three videos currently checked out from the library, and lately we’ve been watching all three each day. Mommy just placed a few others on hold so she can hear some new songs before she goes insane. The Signing Time theme song goes, “It’s signing time with Alex and Leah, come and play…” and the babies will come up to me, make the sign for “Leah” and “play,” and will ask “Lee?” This was the last thing Eleanor said to me as I put her to bed the other night.

The “don’t let your kids watch T.V. before the age of two” part of me is appalled at the amount of video-watching Henry and Eleanor have been doing. But another part of me loves seeing their language skills take off. It’s amazing how fast they will pick up on signs for different words. They can sign thank you, dog, eat, more, drink, thirsty, go, stop, candy, apple, fish, cold, mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, read, book, train, play, and bath, among others. Their eyes light up when they make a sign, and you say the corresponding word, and they realize that you understand them. I haven’t noticed less whining yet, but I’m hoping that using sign language will help cut down on some of their frustration in not always being able to get their point across. So I’ll continue to let them watch their new friend Leah and cross my fingers that they don’t turn into massive couch potatoes.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP